Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Debt Consolidation for students loans

If you are a student, you probably have not heard of debt consolidation for students loans. Let me explain. Debt consolidation for student loans is when you get all of your debts put into one simple payment. When I did this I loved it because it was not worth the mental stress keeping me awake at night worrying about if I could pay my debts and if there was any that I forgot. As soon as I finished being a student I consolidated the loans that I had accumulated through college. Unfortunately there were a lot of them. Credit cards, rent not yet paid. I felt great because I graduated but terrible because of the state of my financial life. Some of the great things that you get from debt consolidation for student loans include:

  • Lower Interest Rate - when you have multiple debts spread out they are likely to be really high especially if you went for the credit cards like I did, the interest on those things are insane. Free money right? I used to think that, but it's all sorted now and I feel really great and light financially, it's a great feeling.
  • Fixed Interest Rate - When you have lots of debts that are varying in interest rate and they might change in the future you get a terrible feeling of uncertainty and it is really hard to keep on top of, I know. If you consolidate though, you can get a fixed interest rate that never changes for all of your debts together. The piece of mind I got from this was well worth it.
  • You Can Use Collateral - This is an option and definitely not something that you have to do but if you have something worth a lot of money like a car or house or mortgage, you can secure your loans against it. I would only recommend doing this though if you are sure you will be able to make the repayments. This is particularly great because it gives you lower interest rate, letting you get rid of your debts quicker and get on with what you want to change in the world.
  • Discounts For Free - Sometimes if you are really struggling and cannot make the minimum payments on your debt, you may be given a pardon by the debt company. What does this mean in normal English? Well, this means that for a while you get to pay less. Individual companies would probably not let you do this and if you have a lot of debts then the chance of them all saying yes are even less.
  • No Payments For 2 Months - Quite a few companies give you 2 months after college in which you do not have to make any payments. This is great because it lets you decide what you want to do with your life without feeling like you are pushed into anything. Lots of people leave college and because of the financial pressure take a high paying job that they hate and it is a shame that the world has to lose out on their talent. I bet you do not want to be that person.
I speak from personal experience when I say consolidating my debt was one of the greatest things I did. It might take slightly longer to pay off your total debt but in the end of the day, I think that the mental stress that gets taken off your shoulders is well worth it.

Get your finances in check first though. Check your income and money going out and makes sure you will be able to afford the minimum payments. If you think debt consolidation is right for you then there is lots of debt companies around that do great quotes online and are really helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment